Fun Story: My director kept telling me and my tenor sax buddy to play softer. No matter what we did, it wasn’t soft enough for him. So getting frustrated, I told my buddy “Dont play this time. Just fake it”
Our Band Director then informed us we sounded perfect.
To my readers: “p” means quiet, “pp” means really quiet. I’ve never seen “pppp” before haha.
On the contrast, “f” means loud, and “ffff” probably means so loud you go unconscious.
I had ffff in a piece once and my conductor told me to play as loudly as physically possible without falling off my chair…
Me and my trombone buddies had “ffff” and he sat next to me and played so hard that he fell out of his chair.
The lengths we go for music.
Okay yeah so I play the bass clarinet and the amount of air you have to move and the stiffness of the reed means it only has two settings and that is loud and louder, with an optional LOUDEST that includes a 50% probability of HORRIBLE CROAKING NOISE which is the bass equivalent of the ubiquitous clarinet shriek.
One day, when I was in concert band in high school, we got a new piece handed out for the first time, and there was a strange little commotion back in the tuba section — whispering, and pointing at something in the music, and swatting at each other’s hands all shhh don’t call attention to it. And although they did attract the attention of basically everyone else in the band, they managed to avoid being noticed by the band director, who gave us a few minutes to look over our parts and then said, “All right, let’s run through it up to section A.”
And here we are, cheerfully playing along, sounding reasonably competent — but everyone, when they have the attention to spare, is keeping an eye on the tuba players. They don’t come in for the first eight measures or so, and then when they do come in, what we see is:
[reeeeeeally deep breath]
[COLOSSAL FOGHORN NOISE]
The entire band stops dead, in the cacophonous kind of way that a band stops when it hasn’t actually been cued to stop. The band director doesn’t even say anything, just looks straight back at the tubas and makes a helpless sort of why gesture.
In unison, the tuba players defend themselves: “THERE WERE FOUR F’S.”
FFFF is not really a rational dynamic marking for any instrument, but for the love of all that is holy why would you put it in a tuba part.
This is the best band post
Everyone else go home
Oh man, so I play trombone, and we got this piece called Florentiner Marsch by Julius Fucik, and we saw this
which is 8 fortes. We were shocked until,
that is 24 fortes who the fuck does that
Who does that?
This guy. Take a good look - that is the moustache of a man with nothing to lose.
More like Julius Fuckit
this post just kept getting better and better
This is my favorite post and always will be.
the highlighted area is where Jason Derulo knows what the girls want. london to taiwan.new york to haiti
greenland is right out
ummm no offense but new york to haiti should be measured as the area between the two latitudes, not the longitudes. this graph is incorrect and vastly underestimates the total region of the earth in which Jason Derulo knows what the girls want
Even measuring that way, Greenland remains right out, as does the entirity of Brazil.
Have we considered measuring by neither latitude nor longitude but in all area that would extend perpendicular from the diagonal of the two places?
There are many different interpretations of the data, and until more is available, we ought not conclude anything at this point.
In light of that, I posit this alternative map of regions where Jason Derulo is potentially claiming where he knows what girls want:
As we can see, if we assume that model, the vast majority of the area where Jason Derulo knows what girls want is either open ocean (the Atlantic, the Mediterranean Sea) or sparsely populated (the northern Sahara, the northern Arabian Desert, various desert portions of Iran and Afghanistan, and the southern Tibetan Plateau). Four of the ten most populated countries on the planet have no territory in it (Nigeria, Brazil, Japan, and Indonesia), and two which do have relatively little territory in it (the US and Russia). It is suggested that for all his boasting, Jason Derulo does not know what a probable majority of the world’s girls want.
my first reaction to this post was “who the fuck is Jason Derulo”
my second was “Tumblr, I respect you and your application of rigorous scientific standards”
I Am a Bride
A short comic inspired by Finnish werewolf folklore in which it is many times the wedding couple and/or the entire wedding party that is bewitched to turn into wolves by a resentful guest or family member.
songs that have an amazingly catchy and cool tune but really uncomfortable lyrics
I think we’re all thinking of the same thing but don’t dare speak its name for fear of summoning it.
We don’t talk about it
ARE THOSE BLURRED FUCKING LIMES
Sailor Moon SuperS Laser Disk Covers
Have you actually read the last book? Snape is one of the good guys!
Yes I have read the last book several times but I wouldn’t agree he was “one of the good guys” by any stretch.
He turned out not to be a death eater, yeah, but as a wise man once said “the world is not split into good people and death eaters” just because he wasn’t one of them that doesn’t make him “good!”
- The way he treated Harry, putting him through HELL…whatever the reason, nothing justifies victimising an innocent 11 year old child.
- The way he treated Neville, another innocent boy put through hell and bullied, bullied by a man who supposedly knows what it’s like and is in a position of authority.
- He was going to hand Sirius and Lupin over to the dementors…not because he thought it was the “right” or even the legal thing that he should do (that would’ve been taking them up to the castle) but because he wanted to get his own back for them being a bit narky with him 20 odd years ago by worse than killing them.
- He was a teacher and he thought it acceptable to call Hermione an “insufferable little know it all” for being good at his class and victimised her throughout her school years.
- I agree with Harry that his berating Sirius about staying safe and sound in mummy’s house might’ve contributed to Sirius going to the Ministry and subsequently getting killed (to be honest I do think he’d have gone anyway, I certainly would’ve done if I were him but it wasn’t a nice thing for Snape to do and I think he was perfectly aware of what he was doing and the effect that it might/he hoped it might have…)
- Sirius had an equally appalling home/family life growing up, if not worse than Snape’s and he stayed good…I think going through terrible things as a kid sometimes explains certain actions you take as an adult but I certainly don’t think it excuses them.
- He “loved” Lily yes but I think it turned into more a kind of weird obsession over the years, when you love someone you care more about their happiness than your own, you’d do anything to make them happy even if it made you miserable. Snape didn’t, he just wanted her because it’d make him happy. If he’d truly loved her and therefore cared about her happiness more than his own, he wouldn’t have asked Voldemort for “mercy for the mother in exchange for the son” that’s just sick.
- He ignored a traumatised, injured and screaming baby in order to clutch the corpse of a woman who’s death he’d (albeit accidentally) brought about. (Fair do’s that’s a film one not a book one, but still)
I think I’d better stop there, there are plenty more but they’re the ones that come to mind!
He did redeem himself yeah, he did slightly make amends in the end…do I feel sorry for him? Yes, absolutely! Do I think he was a brilliant and fascinating character? Totally! But do I think he was good? No. I don’t think anyone is entirely one or the other but I think he was more bad than good…I think he hated James much more than he loved Lily - the way he treats Harry proves that much - he was as much Lily’s as he was James’s, he was half and half that’s kind of how it works! And yet it was the grudge against James that took precedence and determined the way Snape treated him.
Basically I think he was more hate than love/more bad than good.
Anyway, this has been a stupidly long answer I apologise so here have my favourite Snape related gif :-D
PS. I’m not a twat therefore I don’t want to upset you if he’s your favourite character or whatever, if he IS your favourite and you see this then, sorry! As I pointed out though, I do think he’s a brilliant character and very interesting and all that, just, y’know, as a person - bit of a dick. Hope that’s ok :-)
"YOU CAN’T CANCEL QUIDDITCH"
"wood there’s people that are dying"
SIRIUS FLIRTING WITH LITERALLY EVERY TEACHER TRYING (and failing) TO GET OUT OF DETENTION
He tried it with Dumbledore once and the man laughed so hard it almost worked, but then McGonagall came around the corner. Sirius brags until his dying day that he once seduced Dumbledore himself.
James never actually believes him until one day Sirius gives Dumbledore this huge dramatic wink and then Dumbledore winks back.
James stands up and walks out of the great hall.
Why aren’t we talking about Dylan sprouse have you SEEN his tweets?
G U Y S
we could have had a singing career.
Remus Arthur Potter, you were named after two men who looked out for my safety and cared about my well-being out of altruism and decency rather than because I was a tool for them to use or because I was someone’s son.